Thank you for your interest in holding a One Warm Coat Drive. With Coat Drive Ambassadors like you, we know we can provide warmth to our neighbors across the country. No one should go cold this winter!
You will determine:
- When and where you will hold your drive
- How you will promote your drive
- Which non-profit social service agency you will work with
We will provide you with:
- Instructions and free tools and resources
- A Coat Drive Kit mailed to you that includes a banner, two giant labels to attach to your collection bins (bins not provided), stickers and more
- A listing on our Coat Drive Locator
Follow the six easy steps below to make planning and holding your coat drive a breeze!
1 – STEP ONE
Plan Your Drive
Choose your dates:
How long will you hold your drive?
A coat drive can last one day or three months and can be held anytime of year.
Will it be for a special reason, occasion, a party or to celebrate a holiday?
Any reason is a good one! Here are just some of the reasons our organizers have held a drive:
Bar or Bat Mitzvah
MLK Day of Service
Ugly Sweater Day
*Many ask for coats rather than gifts.
In Memory of
Back to School
Corporate Social Responsibility
Chose your location:
If you choose to list your coat drive on our map, the public will be able to see it and will deliver coats to the location you specify. Or, you can keep your drop of location private. You will be asked when you register. Please note: Employee Engagement (internal company drives) are not listed on the public map.
Many organizers have coats dropped off at their homes, at their school or at their place of employment. Some local businesses or local government offices may also allow you to set up a drop off location. You’ll need to choose at least one location – don’t worry, you can add more locations later if you need to.
Business have the advantage of including all of their customers/consumers in their drive. Everyone can participate by including one or all of the following:
An Incentive like a special discount or coupon. You may choose to create a flyer and stuff it in customer bags 2-3 weeks before your drive advertising your offer or Include information about the drive on your register receipts.
An “Ask at the Register” or Point of Sale Campaign (cash collection for OWC) so all customers can participate. We have a full set of instructions and pin-ups!
Online Store Participation: It’s easy to add a tax free item to your online store. Each $25 donation buys, ships and delivers a coat to a child in need.
2 – STEP TWO
Register Your Drive
When you are ready, you will register your coat drive with us and become an official Coat Drive Ambassador! We will send a Coat Drive Kit out to you within one week and provide you with access to many more free tools and resources. If you are ready now – register here.
What you will need to know when you are ready to register
1) What type of drive are holding?
Youth – A Youth drive is organized by someone who is under the age of 21 and may be assisted by a parent or another adult.
Individual – An Individual drive is organized primarily by one person. If you wish to promote your business as part of your drive, you will register as a Business Drive instead.
School – A School Drive is organized by teachers, school faculty or students from pre-school aged programs thru college campuses and is held at the school/on campus.
Informal Community Group – A Community Group drive is organized by an informal – non commercial – group; book club, neighborhood watch.
Employee Engagement – An Employee Engagement is a private drive is held by the employees of a company as an internal drive. The drive is not promoted to the public and is not included on our coat drive locator.
Social Service Nonprofit – A Social Service drive is held by a nonprofit organization that directly provides services and goods to people in need. Nonprofits organized for other purposes should register as a Business drive.
Faith Based – A Faith Based drive is held by a registered church or congregation. Informal church groups should register as an Informal Community Group
Business, Associations & Retail – A Business Drive is held by a company or association who wishes to include their customers, clients and/or the public by inviting them to participate. Business drives are generally held at a place of business or a store location. Incentive programs may be included (coupon offers, discounts, giveaways) to increase foot traffic and participation. A contribution of $50 is requested to register a Business drive.
Coast to Coast Coat Drive Challenge – A Coast to Coast Challenge coat drive is held by companies with more than one office or department, allowing a spirit of competition to increase the collection results. A Challenge drive is held much like an Employee Engagement Drive.
2) Group Name
This will be you official coat drive name. It will be displayed on our coat drive map. Businesses, churches & schools generally use their official name. Individuals and community groups often create a fun name for their project.
3) Main Contact
You will need the mailing address, phone number, email address and name of the person responsible for the drive. Your coat drive kit will be mailed to this address. Please use an email address you regularly use; we will be providing important information and instructions by email.
4) Start & End Date & Hours
Your online listing will include the dates of your coat drive along with the hours you will be available to collect the coats.
5) Coat Drive Description
You may include a short description of your drive to encourage people to participate. If you are a Business you will want to include a description of any incentives you are offering for participation.
6) Collection Address
The collection address will be displayed on our map – this is where people will go to drop off their coats
1) You will receive a link to your personal coat drive page after you register. This page allows you to promote the details of your drive and track coat and dollar donations in real time. Share this URL with your family, friends, co-workers, etc. to spread the word about your drive.
3) Visit our Social Media page to view sample social media posts to share with your online community.
4) Print the curbside pick-up flyer to distribute throughout your neighborhood; it’s a great way to include your neighbors and increase the coats you collect.
5) Email your friends and family about your drive using our sample email template.
6) Use our brochure, posters and flyers to spread the word about your drive throughout your community.
7) Personalize and send a press release to your local papers and TV stations.
8) Share your Selfie! Take pictures of yourself and your family and friends with the coats you collect during your coat drive and tag One Warm Coat using* #igavewarmth #no1cold @onewarmcoat.
* Your profiles must be set to “public” for One Warm Coat to see your tagged photos.
4 – STEP FOUR
Start Your Drive
Kick off your drive by announcing your coat-raising and fundraising goals! Dollars can be collected in your donation box, through your personal coat drive page or by visiting onewarmcoat.org/donate.
1) Track your coat-raising and fundraising goals with our thermometer, which will arrive in your coat drive kit. Make sure to hang your thermometer at your drive location!
2) You can thank all of your donors by providing them with tax receipts and a chance to win a prize from us!
3) Once your drive is over, sort your coats to make sure they are in good/ready-to-wear shape. Count your coats and report them to us at any time through your personal coat drive page.
4) Count your dollar donations! If you have received cash donations, please write a check (or obtain a cashiers check) for the amount of the cash and return all checks to One Warm Coat in your donation envelope
5 – STEP FIVE
Celebrate Your Drive
Celebrate by sharing pictures, videos and stories from your drive with us. You can report your coat totals at any time on your personal coat drive page, be sure to tell us your final number! Remember the coat count tallies each time you report.
You will tell us:
1) Celebrate by sharing pictures, videos and stories from your drive with us on social media*: @onewarmcoat #igavewarmth or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Use the Celebration Press Release to tell your community about the success of your drive!
3) You can report your coat totals at any time through your personal coat drive page. It’s important for One Warm Coat to know how many coats YOU collected so we can count your total towards our goal of warming 1 million people each winter.
4) Submit any dollar donations you’ve received online or by mail (please don’t mail cash!).
* Your profiles must be set to public for One Warm Coat to see your tagged photos.
6 – STEP SIX
Deliver Your Coats
You will collect coats from your family, friends and neighbor’s closets and the non-profit agency you select will get them to people in need. Please be sure that coats are clean and ready to be worn!
Once your drive is complete, you will decide where you will deliver the coats you collected. Please use the Non-profit Locator Map to find an approved partner near you. (One Warm Coat does not pick up).
This is not a complete list of organizations that support those in need — it is just the beginning! If you cannot find a registered agency close by, you might want to perform a “Google search” for “homeless assistance + your town” or take a look in your telephone directory; churches, schools and food banks often distribute coats to those in need.
We have one rule for a One Warm Coat event — the coat must be GIVEN away.
If you would prefer to work with a non-profit agency you already know – that’s great! Please ask them to register on our website, so we can send more Ambassadors and coat to them.
Remember – you should always contact your selected agency BEFORE you deliver your coats to ensure they will be able to accept the coats.
The delivery stickers (included in your Coat Drive Kit) will help you identify and organize the coats you’re delivering.
Raising money for One Warm Coat has never been easier! Visit our Fundraising 101 page for tips on how to ask for (and make) donations during your coat drive or for those not holding a coat drive who still want to warm their neighbors in need.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I would like to organize a drive but don’t know how to get started.
I need to find a nonprofit partner near my home or business.
Time for Step 6 - Deliver Your Coats! You decide where you will deliver the coats you collected. Please use the Nonprofit Locator Map to find an approved partner near you. (One Warm Coat does not pick up).
This is not a complete list of organizations that support those in need — it is just the beginning! If you cannot find a registered agency close by, you might want to perform a “Google search” for “homeless assistance + your town” or take a look in your telephone directory; churches and food banks often distribute coats to those in need.
We have one rule for a One Warm Coat event — the coat must be GIVEN away and we request that the agency register on our site. Remember – you should always contact your selected agency BEFORE you deliver your coats to ensure they will be able to accept the coats.
Please be sure that coats are clean and ready to be worn!
Is there a cost or fee to participate in One Warm Coat?
There are no costs required to organize a non-business/retail One Warm Coat drive. Registered drives may use our free Tools and Resources, available on the website. We supply a free Coat Drive Kit, which includes a large banner, two box labels and more to each Coat Drive Ambassador who registers their coat drive. If you would like to help us continue to provide these free tools and resources, please Donate Today.
Is it only coats?
Think of any outerwear that will keep someone warm — coats, sweaters, jackets, sweatshirts, or scarves. Also, if you have any hats or mittens, they would be appreciated also.
When will my Coat Drive Kit Arrive?
Your Coat Drive Kit will arrive 7-10 days after you register. It is shipped via USPS from the West Coast.
Is there a collection box you can send us?
One Warm Coat does not provide collection bins - we encourage our Ambassadors to be creative and reduce/reuse/recycle old boxes, clean garbage cans – a container of any kind will work! Putting a collection bin together is super easy – check out our How to Build A Collection Bin page.
How do I use my personal coat drive page?
You can use your personal coat drive page to easily promote your coat drive and track your coat and dollar donations. You are able to update some parts of your personal page on your own. By clicking on the "Ambassador Self-Service" link under the donate button, or by clicking on the "update your personal page" link in your welcome email, you can update:
- Event details; such as Start Date, End Date, Hours, and Description
- The address of your coat drive
- The contact information for your coat drive
You cannot change the name of your coat drive from your Self Service page. To update the Coat Drive name, please email email@example.com. You can also report your coat totals from your personal page and request a report of all donations made to your coat drive. You can access both options on your Ambassador Self-Service page, or through the welcome email you received when you registered. If you did not receive an email with a link to your personal coat drive page when you registered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I access the Tools & Resources?
Tools & Resources are provided for our registered Coat Drive Ambassadors, and as such, the pages are password protected. If you are a registered Ambassador, you can find the password to these pages in the Welcome Email you received upon registering your drive.
If you do not believe you received this Welcome Email, please contact us and we will send it to you again.
If you would like access to these pages and are not a registered Ambassador, please register your coat drive now!
How can I update/change my coat drive information? Can I extend my drive?
You can change the date of your coat drive on your personal coat drive page.
When you register your coat drive, you will receive a link to your own coat drive page where you can easily promote your drive and track coat and dollar donations. From this page you can also change (extend or shorten) the dates of your coat drive and update the location and contact information for your coat drive. Additionally, you can request a report of all donations made to your coat drive and report your coat totals at any time.
You can find a link to your personal coat drive page in the Welcome Email you received when you registered. If you need to change the name of your coat drive or organizing contact, please email us at email@example.com. Be sure to include the organizing name, coat drive number and/or the email address used to register the coat drive and include all changes you would like made.
If you did not receive a Welcome Email with a link to your personal coat drive page when you registered, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When will I receive my Certificate of Appreciation?
You can print your Certificate of Appreciation at any time through your personal coat drive page. Click the "Ambassador Self-Service" link (under the donate button), scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Print Certificate". We will then email you a link to your certificate to print.
If you need to change the display name on your certificate, please email email@example.com.
I'm a Business/Retail Drive with 10+ Locations.
If you are a Business/Retailer with 10 or more locations and you are interested in holding a coat drive, please use the contact form below to send us an email and we'll get back to you shortly. Thanks for your interest!
How do I hold a Virtual Coat Drive?
Holding a virtual coat drive is an easy way to spread warmth if you aren’t able to physically hold a drive.
- Register online as an Individual Drive.
- Check the option to not receive a Coat Drive Kit – since your drive will be virtual, our online Tools & Resources will be a better option for you.
- Note in the comments section that you are holding a Virtual Coat Drive.
- You will receive a personal coat drive webpage where you can collect funds for your Virtual Coat Drive.
- Follow Steps 3-5 of our 6 Step Program!
*Note: If you would like to hold a Virtual Coat Drive as a Business, Employer or large group – please contact Patti Zappa for more information.