Thank you for your interest in holding a One Warm Coat Drive. With Coat Drive Ambassadors like you, we know we can provide warmth to our neighbors across the country. No one should go cold this winter!
You will determine:
- When and where you will hold your drive
- How you will promote your drive
- Which non-profit social service agency you will deliver your coats to
We will provide you with:
- Instructions and free tools and resources
- A Welcome Packet is emailed to you once you register, which includes a welcome letter, #igavewarmth sign, donor record form and printable delivery stickers. You can purchase additional items from our Online Store.
Follow the six easy steps below to make planning and holding your coat drive a breeze!
1 – STEP ONE
Plan Your Drive
Choose your dates:
How long will you hold your drive?
A coat drive can last for any amount of time and can be held anytime of year.
Will it be for a special reason, occasion, a party or to celebrate a holiday? Any reason is a good one! Here are just some of the reasons our organizers have held a drive:
Bar or Bat Mitzvah
MLK Day of Service
Ugly Sweater Day
*Many ask for coats rather than gifts.
In Memory of
Back to School
Corporate Social Responsibility
Chose your location:
Choose where your coat drive will take place and how many drop-off locations you will have. Many Ambassadors have coats dropped off at their homes, at their school or at their place of employment. Some local businesses or local government offices may also allow you to set up a drop-off location. You’ll identfity how many drop-off locations you’ll have during registration.
Business have the advantage of including all of their customers/consumers in their drive. Everyone can participate by including one or all of the following:
An Incentive like a special discount or coupon. You may choose to create a flyer and stuff it in customer bags 2-3 weeks before your drive advertising your offer or Include information about the drive on your register receipts.
An “Ask at the Register” or Point of Sale Campaign (cash collection for OWC) so all customers can participate. We have a full set of instructions and pin-ups!
Online Store Participation: It’s easy to add a tax free item to your online store. Each $25 donation buys, ships and delivers a coat to a child in need.
2 – STEP TWO
Register Your Drive
When you are ready, you will register your coat drive with us and become an official Coat Drive Ambassador! We will email you a Welcome Packet and provide you will access to our online store and many free tools and resources. If you are ready now – register here.
What you will need to know when you are ready to register
1) What type of drive are holding?
Business/Retail Coat Drive: Business/Retail coat drive’s are public facing and allows a company to engage their current customers and find new ones by displaying your coat drive details on our Donate A Coat map (something only open to our sponsors and Business/Retail coat drives!). Business/Retail drives are asked to pay a $50 fee.
Employee Engagement Coat Drive: A coat drive organized by employees of a company as an internal drive. If you’d like to invite other offices to get involved, be sure to create a team during the registration process.
Individual or Informal Community Group: These drives are organized by one person (18+) or an informal group (like a book club, group of friends, etc.).
Youth Led or School Coat Drive A coat drive organized by someone who is under the age of 18 (may be assisted by a parent or another adult); or by teachers, school faculty or students from pre-school aged programs thru college campuses.
Social Service Nonprofit or Faith Based Coat Drive: A drive organized by a nonprofit organization that directly provides services and goods to people in need, or by a registered church or congregation.
2) A Unique Email Address
Each coat drive registration requires a unique email address. This email should belong to the main contact person for your coat drive If you are trying to register multiple locations and only have one email address please email email@example.com.
3) Your Team Plans
Are you an internal employee drives that wants to challenge another office to see who can make the biggest impact? Or a local retailer with several store locations? If so, you will want to register as a Team and ask others to join your team. The team possibilities are endless. You will need to identify yourself as a team when you register.
1) You will receive a link to your personal coat drive page after you register. This page allows you to promote the details of your drive and track coat and dollar donations in real time. Share this URL with your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers to spread the word about your drive.
3) Visit our Social Media page to view sample social media posts to share with your online community.
4) Print the curbside pick-up flyer to distribute throughout your neighborhood; it’s a great way to include your neighbors and increase the coats you collect.
5) Email your friends and family about your drive using our sample email template.
6) Use our brochure, posters and flyers to spread the word about your drive throughout your community.
7) Personalize and send a press release to your local papers and TV stations.
8) Share your Selfie! Take pictures of yourself and your family and friends with the coats you collect during your coat drive and tag One Warm Coat using* #igavewarmth #no1cold @onewarmcoat.
* Your profiles must be set to “public” for One Warm Coat to see your tagged photos.
4 – STEP FOUR
Start Your Drive
Kick off your drive by announcing your coat-raising and fundraising goals! Dollars can be collected at your drive, through your personal coat drive page or by visiting onewarmcoat.org/donate.
2) You can thank all of your donors by providing them with tax receipts.
3) Once your drive is over, sort your coats to make sure they are clean and wearable (please recycle any coats that cannot be wore). Count your coats and report them to us at any time through your personal coat drive page. Use the delivery stickers to help you organize the coats before you deliver them.
4) Count your dollar donations! If you have received cash donations, please write a check (or obtain a cashiers check) for the amount of the cash and return all checks to One Warm Coat.
5 – STEP FIVE
Celebrate Your Drive
Celebrate by sharing pictures, videos and stories from your drive with us. You can report your coat totals at any time on your personal coat drive page (or by visiting onewarmcoat.org/report), be sure to tell us your final number!
1) Celebrate by sharing pictures, videos and stories from your drive with us on social media*: @onewarmcoat #no1cold #igavewarmth or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Use the Celebration Press Release to tell your community about the success of your drive!
3) You can report your coat totals at any time through your personal coat drive page (or by visiting onewarmcoat.org/report). It’s important for One Warm Coat to know how many coats YOU collected so we can count your total towards our goal of warming 1 million people each winter.
4) Submit any dollar donations you’ve received online or by mail (please don’t mail cash!).
* Your profiles must be set to public for One Warm Coat to see your tagged photos.
6 – STEP SIX
Deliver Your Coats
You will collect coats from your family, friends and neighbor’s closets and the non-profit agency you select will get them to people in need. Please be sure that coats are clean and wearable before delivering them.
Once your drive is complete, you will decide where you will deliver the coats you collected. Please use the Nonprofit Locator Map to find an approved partner near you. (One Warm Coat does not pick up coats).
This is not a complete list of organizations that support those in need — it is just the beginning! If you cannot find a registered agency close by, you might want to perform a “Google search” for “homeless assistance + your town” or take a look in your telephone directory; churches, schools and food banks often distribute coats to those in need.
We have one rule for a One Warm Coat event — the coat must be GIVEN away.
If you would prefer to work with a non-profit agency you already know – that’s great! Please ask them to register on our website, so we can send more Ambassadors and coat to them.
Remember – you should always contact your selected agency BEFORE you deliver your coats to ensure they will be able to accept the coats.
The delivery stickers (included in your Welcome Packet) will help you identify and organize the coats you’re delivering.
Raising money for One Warm Coat has never been easier! Visit our Fundraising 101 page for tips on how to ask for (and make) donations during your coat drive or for those not holding a coat drive who still want to warm their neighbors in need.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I would like to organize a drive but don’t know how to get started.
Is there a cost or fee to participate in One Warm Coat?
There is not a registration fee to register a coat drive, unless you are registering a small business and will be promoting your coat drive to the public.
Who should register a team page?
If you are a company that has more than one office holding a coat drive, you can create a team so that all offices will be connected. Maybe you are a community drive that has several groups working together to hold a coat drive - a team would be a great fit here too. The possibilities are endless if you have more than one group or location holding a drive.
If you are a business with more than 5 public-facing locations holding a coat drive, please email us before registering.
I'm a Business/Retail Drive with 5+ Locations.
If you are a Business/Retailer with 5 or more locations and you are interested in holding a coat drive, please email us. Thanks for your interest!
Which coat drives display on the Donate A Coat map?
Only Business/Retail drives, which pay a $50 registration fee per location, and One Warm Coat's sponsors, are listed on the Donate A Coat map.
Will I receive a Coat Drive Kit in the mail?
No, we no longer mail Coat Drive Kits to our Ambassadors.
To ensure that we are using funds in the best way possible and providing as many coats to our neighbors as we can, we’ve gone digital! Registered Ambassadors receive a digital Welcome Packet once their registration is complete and are able to order several items from our new online store. Additionally, registered Ambassadors have access to many free tools and resources on our website.
Is there a collection box you can send us?
Yes! Collection boxes are available in our online store.
If you do not want to purchase a box, we encourage you to be creative and reduce/reuse/recycle old boxes, clean garbage cans – a container of any kind will work! Putting a collection bin together is super easy – check out our How to Build A Collection Bin page.
How do I access the Tools & Resources?
Tools & Resources are provided for our registered Coat Drive Ambassadors. If you are a registered Ambassador, links to individual tools can be found in the confirmation email you received when you registered your coat drive.
If you do not believe you received this confirmation, please contact us and we will send it to you again.
If you are not a registered Ambassador, please register your coat drive now!
Is it only coats?
Think of any outerwear that will keep someone warm — coats, sweaters, jackets, sweatshirts, or scarves. Also, if you have any hats or mittens, they would be appreciated also.
How do I track coat totals?
There is a button on the left side of your personal coat drive page that says "Report My Coat Totals". You can report your totals there or by visiting onewarmcoat.org/report. Remember to update your followers on how many coats have been donated by editing your coat drive page text box.
I need to find a nonprofit partner near my home or business.
Time for Step 6 - Deliver Your Coats! You decide where you will deliver the coats you collected. Please use the Nonprofit Locator Map to find an approved partner near you. (One Warm Coat does not pick up).
This is not a complete list of organizations that support those in need — it is just the beginning! If you cannot find a registered agency close by, you might want to perform a “Google search” for “homeless assistance + your town” or take a look in your telephone directory; churches and food banks often distribute coats to those in need.
We have one rule for a One Warm Coat event — the coat must be GIVEN away and we request that the agency register on our site. Remember – you should always contact your selected agency BEFORE you deliver your coats to ensure they will be able to accept the coats.
Please be sure that coats are clean and ready to be worn!
Join Our Mailing List
One Warm Coat is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, EIN #74-3045243. Coat and dollar donations and contributions are tax-deductible as allowed by law. 877-663-9276