Thank you for your interest in holding a One Warm Coat Drive. With Coat Drive Ambassadors like you, we know we can #warmamillion this year!
You will determine:
- When and where you will hold your drive
- How you will promote your drive
- Which non-profit agency you will work with
We will provide you with:
- Instructions and free tools and resources
- A Coat Drive Kit mailed to you that includes a banner, two giant labels to attach to your collection bins (bins not provided), stickers and more
- A listing on our Coat Drive Locator
Follow the six easy steps below to make planning and holding your coat drive a breeze!
1 – STEP ONE
Plan and Prepare
Choose your dates:
How long will you hold your drive?
A coat drive can last one day or three months and can be held anytime of year.
Will it be for a special reason, occasion, a party or to celebrate a holiday?
Any reason is a good one! Here are just some of the reasons our organizers have held a drive:
Bar or Bat Mitzvah
MLK Day of Service
Ugly Sweater Day
*Many ask for coats rather than gifts.
In Memory of
Back to School
Corporate Social Responsibility
Chose your location:
If you choose to list your coat drive on our map, the public will be able to see it and will deliver coats to the location you specify. Or, you can keep your drop of location private. You will be asked when you register.
Many organizers have coats dropped off at their homes, at their school or at their place of employment. Some local businesses or local government offices may also allow you to set up a drop off location. You’ll need to choose at least one location – don’t worry, you can add more locations later if you need to.
Business have the advantage of including all of their customers/consumers in their drive. Everyone can participate by including one or all of the following:
An Incentive like a special discount or coupon. You may choose to create a flyer and stuff it in customer bags 2-3 weeks before your drive advertising your offer or Include information about the drive on your register receipts.
An “Ask at the Register” or Point of Sale Campaign (cash collection for OWC) so all customers can participate. We have a full set of instructions and pin-ups!
Online Store Participation: It’s easy to add a tax free item to your online store. Each $25 donation buys, ships and delivers a coat to a child in need.
2 – STEP TWO
When you are ready, you will register your coat drive with us and become an official Coat Drive Ambassador! We will send a Coat Drive Kit out to you within one week and provide you with access to many more free tools and resources. If you are ready now – register here.
What you will need to know when you are ready to register
1) What type of drive are holding?
Youth – A Youth drive is organized by someone who is under the age of 21 and may be assisted by a parent or another adult.
Individual – An Individual drive is organized primarily by one person. If you wish to promote your business as part of your drive, you will register as a Business Drive instead.
School – A School Drive is organized by teachers, school faculty or students from pre-school aged programs thru college campuses and is held at the school/on campus.
Informal Community Group – A Community Group drive is organized by an informal – non commercial – group; book club, neighborhood watch.
Employee Engagement – An Employee Engagement is a private drive is held by the employees of a company as an internal drive. The drive is not promoted to the public and is not included on our coat drive locator.
Social Service Nonprofit – A Social Service drive is held by a nonprofit organization that directly provides services and goods to people in need. Nonprofits organized for other purposes should register as a Business drive.
Faith Based – A Faith Based drive is held by a registered church or congregation. Informal church groups should register as an Informal Community Group
Business, Associations & Retail – A Business Drive is held by a company or association who wishes to include their customers, clients and/or the public by inviting them to participate. Business drives are generally held at a place of business or a store location. Incentive programs may be included (coupon offers, discounts, giveaways) to increase foot traffic and participation. A contribution of $50 is requested to register a Business drive.
Coast2Coast Coat Drive Challenge – A Coast2Coast coat drive is held by businesses with more than office or department, allowing a spirit of competition to increase the collection results.
2) Group Name
This will be you official coat drive name. It will be displayed on our coat drive map. Businesses, churches & schools generally use their official name. Individuals and community groups often create a fun name for their project.
3) Main Contact
You will need the mailing address, phone number, email address and name of the person responsible for the drive. Your coat drive kit will be mailed to this address. Please use an email address you regularly use; we will be providing important information and instructions by email.
4) Start & End Date & Hours
Your online listing will include the dates of your coat drive along with the hours you will be available to collect the coats.
5) Coat Drive Description
You may include a short description of your drive to encourage people to participate. If you are a Business you will want to include a description of any incentives you are offering for participation.
6) Collection Address
The collection address will be displayed on our map – this is where people will go to drop off their coats.
2) Visit our Social Media page to view sample social media posts to share with your online community.
3) Print the curbside pick-up flyer to distribute throughout your neighborhood; it’s a great way to include your neighbors and increase the coats you collect.
4) Email your friends and family about your drive using our sample email template.
5) Use our brochure, posters and flyers to spread the word about your drive throughout your community.
6) Personalize and send a press release to your local papers and TV stations.
7) Share your Selfie! Take pictures of yourself and your family and friends with the coats you collect during your coat drive and tag One Warm Coat using* #igavewarmth #warmamillion @onewarmcoat.
* Your profiles must be set to “public” for One Warm Coat to see your tagged photos.
1) Track your coat-raising and fundraising goals with our new thermometer, which will arrive in your coat drive kit. Make sure to hang your thermometer at your drive location!
2) You can thank all of your donors by providing them with tax receipts and a chance to win a prize from us!
3) Once your drive is over, sort your coats to make sure they are in good shape. Write down the final number collected to report to One Warm Coat!
4) Count your dollar donations! If you have received cash donations, please write a check (or obtain a cashiers check) for the amount of the cash and return all checks to One Warm Coat in your donation envelope.
5) Take pictures of your collected coats and share them with One Warm Coat online using #igavewarmth and #warmamillion*. NOTE: Stacks of plastic bags don’t make great pictures – try displaying the coats instead!
* Your profiles must be set to public for One Warm Coat to see your tagged photos.
5 – STEP FIVE
Report & Celebrate
Celebrate your drive’s success and reporting your final numbers using your personal reporting link.
You will tell us:
1) How many coats you collected
2) How many dollars you collected
3) Celebrate by sharing your stories and pictures/videos through email (email@example.com) or social media (@onewarmcoat).
It’s important for One Warm Coat to know how many coats YOU collected so we can count your total towards our goal of #warmamillion.
Once your drive is complete, use our Non-profit Agency locator to find an organization near you that has a need for warm coats.
If you would prefer to work with a non-profit agency you already know – that’s great! Please ask them to register on our website, so we can send more Ambassadors and coat to them.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is it only coats?
Think of any outer wear that will keep someone warm — coats, sweaters, jackets, sweatshirts, or scarves. Also, if you have any hats or mittens, they would be appreciated also.
Is there a collection box you can send us?
One Warm Coat does not provide collection bins, we encourage our Ambassadors to be creative and reduce/reuse/recycle old boxes, clean garbage cans – a container of any kind will work! Putting a collection bin together is super easy – check out our How to Build A Collection Bin page.
I can’t find an agency near my home on your list.
The list of non-profit agencies on our website is not a complete list of organizations that support those in need — it is just the beginning! You might want to perform a “google search” for “homeless assistance + your town” or take a look in your telephone directory. Churches and food banks often distribute coats to those in need. We have one rule for a One Warm Coat event — the coat must be GIVEN.
Is there a cost or fee to participate in One Warm Coat?
There are no costs required to organize a non-commercial One Warm Coat drive. Free tools and resources are available for all registered organizers on our website. We supply a large banner and box label to each Organizer who registers their coat drive. If you would like to support One Warm Coat’s coat drive program, you can make a monetary donation by clicking here.
How can I update/change my coat drive information? Can I extend my drive?
For the 2017/18 Coat Drive season, we’ve launched an exciting new tool: the personal coat drive page. When you register your coat drive, you will receive a link to your own coat drive page where you can easily promote your drive and track coat and dollar donations. From this page you can also change (extend/shorten) the dates of your coat drive and update the location and contact information for your coat drive. Additionally, you can request a report of all donations made to your coat drive and report your coat totals at any time. You can find a link to your personal coat drive page in the Welcome Email you received when you registered.
If you need to change the name of your coat drive or organizing contact, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the company name, coat drive number and the email address used to register the coat drive and include all changes you would like made.